Skill Tree

From Dead Island Wiki

Skill Tree
Dead island Logan Combat.png
 

The Skill Tree is located in the pause menu. The hero earns experience by completing quests and defeating enemies. No matter what character the player chooses, earning XP is the building block to strengthening abilities. When the hero levels up, their health and skill points increase. Skill points are used to purchase new abilities and bonuses.

Each character has three skill categories that can be enhanced: Fury, Combat, and Survival. It is important to spread experience points somewhat evenly through these three skill categories to have a balanced fighter. Each character's unique specialty requires a different upgrading strategy for getting them all to feel balanced. Putting extra strength in Combat or Fury is makes the game fun.

Fury is the fuel for each character's unique signature attack. The hero's signature attack makes him more efficient and powerful but only lasts a short period. Each hero spends Skill Points upgrading individual nuances of Fury using the Skill tree in the Pause menu. Each character is offered many unique upgrades. Upgrading fury, increases the power, duration and the available bonus attacks that are unleashed during a Fury attack.

The Combat Skill upgrades are the middle column of upgrades in the Skills menu. These upgrades increase the power of the hero's specialty weapons, make them more durable, and decrease the cost to maintain them. These are great places to spend skill points. Combat upgrades can help decease the cost of weapon repair.

Survival upgrades are the enhancements that give the hero the basic necessities of a developing fighter including more room in the hero's backpack, or lock-picking skill. Survival upgrades make the hero stronger, luckier, healthier, and richer.

Balance upgrading by spreading skill points somewhat evenly through the three Skill categories.[1][2]

Contents

[edit] Logan

[edit] Logan - Fury Tree

Dead island Logan Fury.png


[edit] Logan - Combat Tree

Dead island Logan Combat.png


[edit] Logan - Survival Tree

Dead island logan skill tree survival.png


[edit] Purna

[edit] Purna - Fury Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Guardian This allows the hero to draw your sidearm and wreak havoc, and additionally your team members will get: +10% damage, +10% critical hit chance, -15% stamina cost and +26 health gain
Attack Formation This increases damage done by all team member (including you) when Fury is active +5% damage +10% damage +15% damage
Inspiring Kick This upgrade yields more rage when the hero kill with a kick +15% rage +30% rage +45% rage
Grim Inspiration Kills with modified weapons gain more rage +10% rage +20% rage +30% rage
Guardian Spirit This upgrade makes your Fury last longer, allows the hero to take out two enemies at once and provides yourself and your team mates with: +20% damage, +20% critical hit chance, -30% stamina cost, +50% health gain, +50% stamina gain +10 rage
Fiery Spirit Increases your chance to set enemies alight while on Fury +5% chance +10% chance +15% chance
Volatile This upgrade decreases the amount of rage needed to activate Fury -5% rage -10% rage -15% rage
Righteous Fire Killing enemies with firearms yields more rage +10% rage +20% rage +30% rage
Guardian Angel This upgrade makes your Fury last longer, allows the hero to take out three enemies at once and provides yourself and your team mates with: +30% damage, +30% critical hit chance, -45% stamina cost, +100% health gain, +100% stamina gain +20% rage

[edit] Purna - Combat Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Blade Fighter This makes sharp weapons more effective, giving the hero +5% sharp damage, -10% sharp stamina cost, +1% critical hit chance and +5% damage for head trauma
Hard Knocks This upgrade increases all melee damage +5% damage +10% damage +15% damage
Vampire Kills will give the hero a nice stamina boost +10% stamina +20% stamina +30% stamina
Randori This skill gives the hero a decreased stamina cost when fighting hordes of enemies -10% stamina -20% stamina -30% stamina
Kick of Strength This upgrade gives the hero a stamina boost when the hero kill with kicks +10% stamina +20% stamina +30% stamina
Gender Wars Increases damage when killing a zombie of the opposite sex +5% damage +10% damage +15% damage
Custom Maintenance This increases durability of your melee weapons +10% durability +20% durability +30% durability
Firearms Training Gives you: -10% reload time, +2% critical hit chance, +10% accuracy and -10% recoil
Cold Rage A kill increases your chances of a critical hit for a few seconds +4% chance +8% chance +12% chance
Executor This upgrade increases your chances of a critical hit with firearms +1% chance +2% chance +3% chance
Elemental Affinity This skill increases the duration of all elemental attacks +20% duration +40% duration +60% duration
Piercing Shots Increases your chances of bullet penetration +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance
Rapid Fire Decreases your reload time -10%% reload time -20% reload time -30% reload time
Wunderwaffe This skill increases your damage dealt with modified firearms +10% damage +20% damage +30% damage
Gun Kata This upgrade allows the hero to handle guns better giving the hero -20% reload time, +3% critical hit chance, +20% accuracy -20% recoil.

[edit] Purna - Survival Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Boost Mood Boosts skills relating to damage, force, handling and durability by 15% for all members located inside the aura. Aura range 5 metres.
Deeper Pockets This handy upgrade increases the number of backpack slots +2 slots +4 slots +6 slots
Pick Lock Allows the hero to pick locks of the corresponding level.
Optimal Maintenance This handy upgrade reduces the cost for repairs -10% cost -20% cost -30% cost
Conditioning This upgrade increases your stamina +5% stamina +10% stamina +15% stamina
Glory Hound Sweet skill increases XP for kills and assists +50% XP +100% XP +150% XP
Custom Maintenance This increases durability of your upgraded weapons +10% durability +20% durability +30% durability
Boost Ambiance Boosts skills relating to damage, force, handling and durability by 20% for all members located inside the aura. Aura range 10 metres.
Recovery This upgrade increases your chance of not being interrupted after being hit while attacking +20% chance +40% chance +60% chance
Recycling This skill yeilds the hero more bullets when creating them at workbenches +25% more +50% more +75% more
Providence This upgrade increases the number of bullets found among loot +20% found +40% found +60% found
Jackpot This upgrade increases your chance to find rare items among loot +5% chance +10% chance +15% chance
Rain of Bullets Each rank increases the number of bullets the hero can carry by the following: +10 pistol rounds +10 rifle rounds +5 shotgun rounds
Second Chance This upgrade increases your chance of being instanly revived after death +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance
Boost Aura Boosts skills relating to damage, force, handling and durability by 25% for all members located inside the aura. Aura range 15 metres.

[edit] Sam B

[edit] Sam B - Fury Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Haymaker This skill allows Sam to unleash devastating blows, taking enemies out with a single hit.
Grim Inspiration Kills with blunt weapons gain more rage +6% rage +12% rage +18% rage
Feel No Pain This upgrade makes the hero more resistant to damage while on Fury -10% damage -20% damage -30% damage
Sticks and Stones Increases your chance of gaining rage when damaged +5% chance +10% chance +15% chance
Greater Haymaker Fury lasts longer and each punch will launch enemies into the air with spectacular results.
Smash Hit This upgrade increases the amount of rage gained when hitting enemies in the head with blunt weapons +20% rage +40% rage +60% rage
Pain Killer Each kill while on Fury regens health when using this upgrade +3% regen +6% regen +9% regen
Volatile This upgrade decreases the amount of rage needed to activate Fury -5% rage -10% rage -15% rage
Incredible Haymaker Fury lasts even longer and unleash a punch that will literally send your enemies sky high beyond belief.

[edit] Sam B - Combat Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Heavy Hitter This skill makes blunt weapons more efficient and effective by giving the hero +5% damage, -10% blunt weapon stamina cost, +1% critical hit chance and +5% damage for head trauma.
Maintenance This upgrade increases blunt weapon durability +10% durability +20% durability +30% durability
Effortless This skill gives the hero a decreased stamina cost when using blunt weapons -10% stamina -20% stamina -30% stamina
Devastation This upgrade increases damage and force when using blunt weapons +3% damage / +10% force +6% damage / +20% force +9% damage / +30% force
Lights Out This upgrade increases the time your enemies are knocked out for. +2 seconds +4 seconds +6 seconds
Exploit Weakness This upgrade increases chance to score a critical hit when an enemies stamina is below 50% +2% chance +4% chance +6% chance
Tackle This upgrade works in three segments. Rank 1 allows the hero to push enemies away, making some space. Level 2 allows the hero to knock enemies to the ground and Level 3 offers -50% tackle stamina and the ability to ram through locked doors.
Blunt Expert gives you: +5% blunt weapon damage, -10% blunt weapon stamina cost, +2% blunt weapon critical hit chance, +10% damage for head inflicted attacks and the ability to stomp on fallen enemies.
Powerful Impact This upgrade increases overall damage with modified blunt weapons +2% damage +4% damage +6% damage
Big Stick This upgrade increases overall damage with two handed weapons +2% damage +4% damage +6% damage
Hammer Blows This upgrade increases your chance of performing an instant knockout with blunt weapons +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance
Critical Impact Increases your chance of a critical hit with a modified blunt weapon +3% chance +6% chance +9% chance
Telling Blows This upgrade increases critical hit chance with blunt weapons +1% chance +2% chance +3% chance
Aimed Shots Increase overall firearms damage +5% damage +10% damage +15% damage
Earthshaker This upgrade allows the hero to literally shake your enemies world with massive strikes. It gives you: +5% blunt damage, -10% stamina cost, +3% blunt critical hit chance, stomper can be used without stomping and the hero can use a special attack to instantly knock out your enemies.

[edit] Sam B - Survival Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Recuperation This handy skill regenerates 10% of your health per minute
Motivation This upgrade increases your chances of turning damage into a stamina boost +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance
Decoy This upgrade increases your chances of attracting enemy attention +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance
Money Magnet This upgrade increases the amount of money found amongst loot +10% more +20% more +30% more
Hardened This upgrade decreases the amount of melee damage received -5% damage -10% damage -15% damage
Pick Lock Allows the hero to pick locks of the corresponding level.
Deeper Pockets This handy upgrade increases the number of backpack slots +2 slots +4 slots +6 slots
Regeneration This handy skill regenerates 15% of your health per minute
Bulletproof Reduces bullet damage received -6% damage -12% damage -18% damage
Bone Breaker Increase the amount of XP gained for breaking enemy bones x2 XP x3 XP x4 XP
Backfire Enemies receive damage by knocking the hero down x1 damage x2 damage x3 damage
Custom Maintenance This increases durability of your modified weapons +10% durability +20% durability +30% durability
Fence This increases the price of items the hero sell +10% increase +20% increase +30% increase
Last Stand This skill decreases the amount of damage taken when health is below critical level -20% damage -40% damage -60% damage
Rebirth This skill allows the hero to repair vital organs and regenerate 20% of your health every minute.

[edit] Xian Mei

[edit] Xian Mei - Fury Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Blood Rage Use your fury to unleash some deadly attacks and deal with your enemies quickly.
Grim Inspiration Kills with sharp weapons gain more rage, +6% rage +12% rage +18% rage.
Lightning Moves While in Fury the hero become unbelievably fast, +33% speed +66% speed +99% speed
Assassin’s Guile This handy upgrade increases your health while in Fury, +30% health +60% health +90% health.
Boiling Bloodrage Fury lasts longer and makes the hero more effective in combat.
Flowing Strikes Critical kills award the hero with more rage, +27% rage +54% rage +81% rage.
Rerage Increases your chance to restore 20% of rage after using Fury, +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance.
Volatile This upgrade decreases the amount of rage needed to activate Fury, -5% rage -10% rage -15% rage.
Boiling Bloodrage Fury lasts longer and the hero are almost unstoppable in combat.

[edit] Xian Mei - Combat Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
Blade Fighter This upgrade makes the hero more efficient and deadly with sharp weapons giving you, +5% sharp damage, -10% sharp stamina cost, +1 % sharp critical hit chance and +5% for head trauma.
Maintenance This upgrade increases durability of sharp weapons, +10% durability +20% durability +30% durability.
Flawless Blade This skill increases damage with sharp weapons, +5% damage +10% damage +15% damage.
Flying Strike Attacking with sharp weapons while jumping causes extra damage, +33% damage +66% damage +99% damage.
Backstab This skill gives the hero increased damage when attacking enemies from behind with melee weapons, +20% damage +40% damage 60% damage.
Deep Wounds This skill gives the hero an increased chance of causing bleeding on critical hits with sharp weapons, +10% chance +20% chance +30% chance.
Effortless This skill gives the hero a decreased stamina cost when using sharp weapons, -10% stamina -20% stamina -30% stamina.
Sharp Expect Gives you: +5% sharp damage, -10% sharp stamina cost, +2% sharp critical hit chance, +10% damage for head trauma and use of a powerful stomp on fallen enemies.
Poisonous This upgrade increases duration of poison, +15% duration +30% duration +45% duration.
Telling Blows This upgrade increases the chance of a critical hit with sharp weapons, +4% chance +8% chance +12% chance.
Serrated Blade This increases the bleeding duration of your enemies, +30% increase +60% increase +90% increase.
Stroke of Luck This increases your chances of scoring an instant kill with sharp weapons, +1.5% chance +4% chance +4.5% chance.
Master Assassin This increases bleeding and poison damage, +20% increase +40% increase +60% increase.
Pressure This upgrade increases your chance to score a critical hit when an enemies health is below 50%, +3% chance +6% chance +9% chance.
Blade Master Gives you: +5% sharp damage, -5% sharp stamina cost, +5% sharp critical hit chance, +15% damage on fallen enemies and the hero can use the stomper without stopping.

[edit] Xian Mei - Survival Tree

Name Description Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3
First Aid This upgrade makes all medkits 25% more effective.
Vampire Kills will give the hero a nice stamina boost, +10% stamina +20% stamina +30% stamina.
Life Insurance Decreases cash penalty upon death, +15% less +30% less +45% less.
Spectre This upgrade decreases your chances of attracting enemy attention, -5% chance -10% chance -15% chance.
Endurance This skill increases your stamina regeneration, +15% faster +30% faster +45% faster.
Pick Lock Allows the hero to pick locks of the corresponding level.
Deeper Pockets This handy upgrade increases your number of backpack slots, +2 slots +4 slots +6 slots.
Field Medicine This upgrade makes medkits 50% more effective.
Merchant This decreases the price of items the hero buy, -10% decrease -20% decrease -30% decrease.
Choice Cuts Bonus XP for severing limbs, x2 XP x3 XP x4 XP.
Combo Kills within 5 seconds of each other are rewarded with an XP boost, +10% XP +20% XP +30% XP.
Equal Chances This upgrade decreases penalties when fighting enemies that are a higher level than you. Level 1 awards no penalties for enemies one level above you, Level 2 for enemies that are two levels above the hero and Level 3 for enemies that are three levels above you.
Custom Maintenance This increases the durability of modified weapons, +10% durability +20% durability +30% durability.
Rally This upgrade will increase your stamina regeneration when your health drops below 50%, +15% regen +30% regen +45% regen.
Surgeon General Medkits are now 75% more effective.

[edit] Gallery

[edit] See also

[edit] References

  1. Tim Bogenn, Michael Owen, and Kenny Sims Dead Island Official Strategy Guide, Brady Games, 2011.
  2. Skill Trees, Dead Island Wikia.